Dunn & Wilson Scholarship 2005

At the ALIA Library & Information Technicians Conference neXt 2005 I was presented with the Dunn & Wilson Scholarship. This blog aims to present a reflection of my research progress on secondment opportunities for Australian Library Technicians in all library sectors.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Old but New!

As mentioned in a previous post, I have returned to my substantive position as Document Delivery Assistant at QUT Gardens Point Library. I have not been in this position since May 2004, so it is almost like starting over again.

In my conference paper I presented at the 2005 ALIA Library & Information Technicians Conference neXt - Multi-Skill Me: Secondment Opportunities and Challenges at QUT Library , I mentioned that one of the challenges of secondments is returning to your substantive position, as sometimes the secondment position is much better than your original one. This is the case for me returning to document delivery. This is not to say that I don't enjoy document delivery, it is just that during my secondments I was continually learning new things and working at a higher level. I suppose the challenge is gone - although I am re-learning my document delivery tasks, it is like "been there done that."

However, I am not looking at this as all being negative. Yes I am re-learning old tasks (which makes it somewhat new); yes I'm working at a lower level - but I am looking at an old job with new, more experienced and knowledgable eyes. Hence, I'm in a position to suggest changes or question why things are being done certain ways. Although if someone can tell me an easy way of doing this without upsetting the apple cart - I'd be much appreciative.

So although I return to document delivery with some disappointment, I am still grateful for having had the opportunities that I've had over the last 1 and half years. I've grown as a person and an employee. And in reality, lets face it, with 4 weeks to go until I'm on maternity leave, could I have learnt another position??!! Or should I be thankful that I've come home to document delivery and can concentrate on what motherhood will bring - another secondment 8-) Although with this one I can't return to childless state - and at this stage, nor would I want to.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I couldn't agree more with your comments, I too, will soon be returning to my old position and I know it will take me awhile to re-adjust, my old position is not very exciting but lucky for me I'm the kind of person who gets over disappointments quickly, perhaps as an incentive to my self I could offer to assist the person who is returning at least that way I can find something positive to think about in the up and coming weeks before I finish the secondment.

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger SharonU said…

    Thanks for your comments. If you'd like to assist me with my research by answering some questions regarding participation in secondments, please contact me - http://www.alia.org.au/~suthmann

     

Post a Comment

<< Home