Dunn & Wilson Scholarship 2005

At the ALIA Library & Information Technicians Conference neXt 2005 I was presented with the Dunn & Wilson Scholarship. This blog aims to present a reflection of my research progress on secondment opportunities for Australian Library Technicians in all library sectors.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Special Libraries and Secondments

I have had a number of responses to do with Special/Government Libraries and secondments - mainly about why they don't offer them.

The top reason are the lack of staff in special libraries and therefore the limited room to move around and limited opportunities to move into vacant positions.

It would be interesting to see if special libraries would utilise an opportunity to exchange staff with other similar libraries/departments. I participated in a secondment with CSIRO back in 2002. I was still employed by QUT and paid through the QUT payroll. CSIRO was invoiced for my pay at the agreed rate that their position was advertised at. My leave still came through QUT and my super arrangements did not change. Perhaps this is an avenue others might want to look into but perhaps vice versa, e.g. a special library staff member coming to work in a university library. I suppose the only problem would be the replacement of staff - but then does this not lead to further opportunities for either those working in the organisation or those trying to get their foot in the door.

On a side note, I was reading one of my parenting magazines recently and they had an article on blogging kids. This involved parents keeping blogs about their childs/children's development. I'm not sure if I'd want personal information going up on a blog, but perhaps it's a nice way of keeping a diary that your child may refer to when they are older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home