Dunn & Wilson Scholarship 2005

At the ALIA Library & Information Technicians Conference neXt 2005 I was presented with the Dunn & Wilson Scholarship. This blog aims to present a reflection of my research progress on secondment opportunities for Australian Library Technicians in all library sectors.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Complete Circle!

As regular readers of this blog know, I have recently started working casually at the Ipswich Library and Information Service. This week sees me take on some casual contract work with Bremer Institute of TAFE Library working from home. Interesting comments made by a colleague when I mentioned I was doing some work from home. They questioned the occupational health and safety aspects of it and also whether there was any loading/reimbursement for the use of my own electricity etc. Interesting points that I had not ever thought about. Perhaps blog readers out there might like to comment on that!!

Eleven years ago I was working with the same employers although, at the time, I was also completing my Associate Diploma of Applied Science (Library Technician Studies) at Southbank Institute of TAFE. Funny how life sometimes does a complete circle, although I'm happy to say that I'm now far more experienced and a lot more confident then I was eleven years ago. And am also happy to note that some of the staff that I worked with back then are still with these employers and still remember me - although I don't think I made that much of an impression back then!! 8-)

I would also like to note that it is due to participating in many secondments that has enabled me to be successful in gaining these positions. Had it not been for the valuable experience and skills that I gained through my secondments, I'm sure that I would not have been as lucky!!

And just for the record, here are the secondments I've done:

  • Reference Librarian (Creative Industries) - QUT Kelvin Grove Library
  • Library Systems Officer - QUT Kelvin Grove Library
  • Monographs Assistant - QUT Kelvin Grove Library
  • Library Assistant - CSIRO Centre for Advanced Technologies Library

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home