Dunn & Wilson Scholarship 2005

At the ALIA Library & Information Technicians Conference neXt 2005 I was presented with the Dunn & Wilson Scholarship. This blog aims to present a reflection of my research progress on secondment opportunities for Australian Library Technicians in all library sectors.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I'm not Superwoman!

I didn't end up taking the contract work with Bremer TAFE - I had a trial run and worked out that it was not possible for me to work from home as the little "spare" time I have when my daughter is asleep is when I do my studies so I couldn't really put them on the back burner. It was hard to say no. I don't believe I'm the only person in the LIS world that has difficulty in saying "no." The fear of missed opportunities and disappointing employers that may cross your path again later in life plays hard on my mind when deciding to say "no." But alas, I'm sure other things will come up and I'm still heading in the right direction as far as my career goals are concerned.

Talking of opportunities, I mentioned in my last post all the secondments I participated in. You will note that most of them were at QUT and my paper "Multi-skill me..." discussed my experiences with secondments with QUT. I have to say that QUT Library was an excellent employer in giving opportunities to its staff to move into different positions through secondment opportunities. I gained so much experience during my time there that has lead me to this point in life. Also having the opportunity to participate in "big picture" planning through the Library Planning Forum also assisted me in seeing the "behind the scenes" of library planning which has also added to my experiences.

For those working for employers that offer secondments and support staff in gaining new skills and experiences, make the most of it as it doesn't occur everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home